1. Which breed of chicken has a crest, feathered shanks and toes, vulture hocks, a 5th toe, and a v-comb?
2. What is the scientific name for the Red Jungle Fowl?
3. A Showgirl chicken is a cross between a _________ and a _________. ( breeds of chickens)
4. Which 2 of these 5 breeds should have 6 points on its comb? (a. Leghorn b. Minorca c. Spanish d. Java e. Jersey giant )
5. What is a common misspelling of Ameraucana?
6. True or False: Rhode Island Reds & Rhode Island Whites are the same breed.
7. What kind of comb do Rhode Island Reds have?
8. Which one of these breeds is not a True Bantam? (a. Sebright b. Japanese c. Sussex d. Silkie e. Dutch f. Rosecomb )
9. What are the 3 varieties of Rosecomb Bantams are in the American Standard of Perfection?
10. What is a chicken’s breastbone called?
11. What does Dual Purpose mean?
12. Which one of these breeds is not in the Feather-Legged class? (a. Silkie b. Favorolle c. Barnevelder d. Brahma )
13. Which Breed will not be penalized if it has multiple spurs, and actually is preferred to have multiple spurs?
14. What does O.E.G.B. stand for?
15. What are the 3 grades of exterior quality of an egg?
16. What is a chicken’s iris?
17. What is a snood?
18. Can ducks get worms?
19. When does a Old English Game male not need to be dubbed?
20. True or False: Dutch bantams are Hen-feathered
1. Name 3 of the 4 functions of the allantois.
Another word for lacrimation is:
3. When growing pullets giving birds
enough room to grow is important. Which bird strain of hen is likely to need 2.5-3 square feet per bird?
B. Rhode Island Red
C. Black Sex Link
D. Both B and C
4. Egg cartons from USDA-inspected plants must display a ____ date, which is the date the eggs were packed.
5. What do you call the outer covering of the egg that is mostly made up of calcium carbonate?
6. Without fresh, clean _____ laying hens will not eat and then they will go out of production.
7. Three different disinfectants are mentioned for cleaning the coop and equipment if you are starting chicks. This will aid in disease prevention. Name 2 of the three disinfectants mentioned.
8. At the large end of the egg there is an empty space between the albumen and the shell. What is the name of this empty space?
9. Long legs and a long neck describe this breed with a tall, slender appearance.
This ratites weighs 250-400 lb. Is it:
What is the name for the advertising, research and promotion
organization for the egg industry?
A. American Egg Board
B. Poultry and Egg National Board
C. United States Department of Agriculture
D. Healthy Living Board
12. Instead of lying naturally pointed toward the tail, the feathers of the _____ curl back toward the head.
13. This ratite is native to New Guinea and Australia. Name the ratite.
14. In washing eggs, the _____ is removed so a light, tasteless, layer of _____ oil is applied to the shell in commercial settings.
15. The ____ bone of a bird that flies is important because it is where pertoral flight muscles attach to the skeleton.
16. Which breed from the All Other Standard Breed Class originates from Turkey?
17. Which is more harmful to an embryo in an incubator, 15 minutes at 105 degrees or 3-4 hours at 95 degrees?
18. What is the incubation period for a canary?
19. When turning eggs manually during incubation, how many times should they be turned per day from day 2-18?
20. What is the initial break in the shell, made by the egg tooth, called?
inside to spoil, empty ____ can be decorated to keep indefinitely.
What is the name
for a cooked dressing that is thickened with egg yolks?
A. Breaker dressing
C. Boiled dressing
3. What is the name for a tall cake, light in texture and leavened only by egg whites?
4. What color eggshell is the most in demand for the vast majority of American egg buyers and consumers?
5. For what do the letters NPIP stand?
It is important
to remember that the sooner the chicks are placed in the brooder and allowed to
eat and drink, the better their ____ and ____.
A. Growth and Performance
B. Color and Size
C. Foraging and Chirping
D. Health and Speed
7. Sometimes after hard cooking and egg there is a greenish ring around the yolk. Why does this occur?
8. Which breed in the AOSB class has a body shape that resembles that of the Sumatra?
at which chicks are comfortable vary with _____.
A. The color of the chick
B. The age of the chick
C. The size of the brooder
D. The feed for the chick
This part of the
albumen is the major source of riboflavin in an egg.
A. Thin albumen
B. Thick albumen
11. What is the incubation period for the Muscovy duck?
12. Name the breed of chicken that has multiple spurs on each leg.
Which of the
following does not come in the Black Breasted Red variety?
A. Modern Game
C. Old English Game
14. What type of ratite is otherwise known as the woodcock ostrich?
15. Spell and define Xanthophylls.
16. Spell and define Isthmus.
17. Spell and define Infundibulum.
18. Spell and define Albumen.
19. Spell and define Stigma.
20. Spell and define Vitelline.
1. What color should Sebright bantam's
2. What is the weight of a standard Cochin Cock?
3. True or False: The APA logo includes
a Feather and a Breastbone.
4. How many Duck breeds are in the Subject Index of the Bantam Standard?
5. Who is the president of the APA?
6. Who is the president of the ABA?
7. True or False: There is a Japanese Bantam on the ABA Logo.
8. The 4 Orpington varieties Recognized
by the APA are ______, _______, _______, & _______.
9. Is there a treatment for Marek's
10. What is the Smallest breed of
11. Where is the Comb located? a. The tail, b. The head, c. The wing, or d. The leg.
12. As yellow-shanked birds get older, do their shanks get Paler or Yellower?
13. Which class are Runner Ducks in?
14. Are Rhode Island Reds & Rhode
Island Whites the same breed?
15. Do Pyncheon Bantams have Crests?
16. What is a Male duck called?
17. How many "True Large Fowl" are there?
18. Are there Black Aseels?
19. Female Ancona Combs are ________ sized.
20. There are __ main parts of the Wing.
1. Sebrights are ___-Feathered.
2. True or False: There are Green varieties of chickens.
3. Do Polish have beards?
4. Red Shoulder Yokohamas were admitted to the APA American Standard of Perfection in the year ____.
5. The Class Continental, is separated into 3 Subclasses. What are they?
6. Are there Large Fowl Old English Games?
7. Do Polish have Crests?
8. Which Comb do Anconas have?
9. True or False: All Old English Game Males, LF & BTM, must have their combs dubbed to go to a show.
10. Are Faverolles True Bantams?
11. Mr. _____ was the creator of the Lamona Chicken.
12. The 4 varieties of Orpingtons in the APA 2011 American Standard of Perfection?
13. Cubalaya Bantam Pullets are __ ounces.
14. Are there Golden Laced Wyandotte Bantams?
15. Are there Pastel Call Ducks?
16. Do Sebastopol Geese only come in White?
17. True or False: Polish have Walnut combs.
18. The 3 varieties of Guineas in the APA 2011 American Standard of Perfection are _____, _____, & ________.
19. True or False: Leghorns are in the Mediterranean class.
20. True or False: Brahmas come in Black.
1. How many eyelids does a chicken have?
2. What are the 4 poultry diseases that are tested for during a N.P.I.P inspection?
3. Can M. Galliseptum & M. Synoviae
be passed from hen to egg?
4. What does the "M" stand for
in M. Galliseptum & Synoviae?
5. Do chickens have tongues?
6. Is the American Standard of
Perfection by the ABA or APA?
7. Chickens eat with their _____.
8. True or False: Marek's Disease has a
9. Is Wazine used for Mites, Worms, or
just for a Nutrient Boost?
10. Which disease is the most likely if most of the birds affected only have 1 eye swollen, watery, & bubbly?
11. If you see thick white bubbles in a Cornish's
eyes is that a problem?
12. How many Primary Flight Feathers
should a chicken have?
13. How many Main Tail Feathers should a female chicken have?
14. Are male & female Muscovy Ducks
the same size?
15. If your chicken has worms, they live
in your chickens __________.
16. How many breeds of Turkeys are
recognized by the American Standard of Perfection, & what are they?
17. How many breeds of Geese are
recognized by the American Standard of Perfection, & what are they?
18. How many breeds of Guineas are
recognized by the American Standard of Perfection, & what are they?
19. How many types of Game Bantams are
20. Can Chickens eat chocolate?
1. Male Ducks are called _______.
2. Female Ducks are called ______.
3. Chickens are __________. (a.
omnivores b. carnivores c. herbivores)
4. The American Standard of Perfection
used to be called the American Standard of ___________.
5. Should Chickens eat chocolate?
6. Should Chickens eat mold?
7. For most Ducks, If it has a curl in
its tail is it a Duck or Drake?
8. How Many Breaths do a hen take in a
9. How Many Breaths do a rooster take in a minute?
Many Times do a chicken's heart beat in a minute?
Chickens Reptiles, Birds, or Mammals?
Melanosis color a chicken's skin, bones, ligaments, and tendons Pink, Blue,
Black, Yellow, or Green?
what year was the first Poultry Exhibition held?
what month was the first Poultry Exhibition held?
what country was the first Poultry Exhibition held?
many exhibitors were showing at the first Poultry Exhibition held?
many birds were showed at the first Poultry Exhibition held?
many visitors were at the first Poultry Exhibition held?
Chicken was once a Sacred Animal symbolizing the ____.
20. True or False: Alektorophobia means "The Fear of Chickens"
1. When Guineas make a
"Buck-wheat" sound, does it mean that it is a Male or Female Guinea?
2. Can you get sick from your poultry with Fowlpox?
3. What is another name for Corid?
4. Is the Coccidia that infests your
poultry the same kind of Coccidia that can infest you?
5. When your poultry get lice, can you
get lice from them?
6. True or False: Ducks can get worms.
7. True or False: Some chickens have "Falcon Hocks".
8. What is the weight of a Sebright
9. What is the weight of a Sebright
10. What is the weight of a Sebright Bantam Hen?
11. What is the weight of a Sebright Bantam Pullet?
12. What is the weight of a Polish Cock?
13. What is the weight of a Polish Cockerel?
14. What is the weight of a Polish Hen?
is the weight of a Polish Pullet?
is the weight of a Cornish Cock?
17. What is the weight of a Cornish Cockerel?
18. What is the weight of a Cornish Hen?
is the weight of a Cornish Pullet?
20. What color eyes should a Blue Andalusian have?
are ____ flyers, they often escape out open windows or _____.
A. poor; doors
B. strong; porch lights
C. average; gates
D. strong; doors
A _____ _____ is a
measurement used in determining albumen quality when eggs are broken out.
Name the oldest breed in
the American Class.
Which organism has
lifespan away from poultry of weeks, is a bacteria, and has symptoms of
What bacteria are we
referring when we say "Keep Hot Foods Hot, and Cold Foods Cold?"
Name the two breeds of
duck that come in the buff variety.
states that one age of bird should be on the property at any time. Many small
flock owners have more than one age on the property, so what should they be
doing instead to compensate for their increased risk to their flock?
variety of this American Class breed was the first to be developed. Was it the
A. Plymouth Rock
B. Jersey Giant
9. This Asiatic breed comes in just two varieties. Name the breed. Langshan
When candling an
egg, what are you not likely to see?
B. Air cell
A ____ is a highbrow or
one with intellectual interests or pretensions.
What should you
do if your cockatiel appears listless, fluffed up for long periods, or is not
A. Do nothing, he/she will be fine
B. Visit a veterinarian
C. Give it vitamins/electrolytes in the water
D. Discuss is with your seed salesperson
What type of
litter should be avoided at the start of raising baby waterfowl or they may
mistake it for feed.
A. crushed corn cobs
B. fine litter
D. wood shavings
14. The commercial broiler industry started in the state of _____. Delaware
This bacteria is
known as the buffet germ.
B. Clostridium perfringens
C. Staphylococcus aureus
D. Clostridium bolulinum
Why is it easier
to sex ducks over geese?
A. Males and females are always a different color from one another
B. Male ducks have drake feathers that curl forward from the top of their tails
C. Male geese have caruncles on the face
D. The knobs on the heads of male geese are smaller than on females
When a chick is
developing what takes place on Day 18?
A. The digits become separated
B. Growth of the embroyo is nearly complete
C. The mouth opening appears
D. The embryo turns it head toward the blunt end of the egg
protruding broken bones are permitted on a grade B carcass?
Which breed in
the American class is only found in the varieties of Black and White and no
B. Jersey Giant
C. Plymouth Rock
When were most of
the breeds and varieties we know in the United States today developed?
1. True or False: Sebrights come in Black Laced Lemon.
2. True or False: MG stands for Mycoplasma Gallifunitis.
3. True or False: Orpingtons originated in England.
4. True or False: A Black Hamburg has a Dark Slate beak.
5. Cubalaya Hens should weigh ___
26 oz. B. 4 lb.
C. 20 lb.
6. The 3 breeds in the Game Bantam Class are _______ _____, ______ ______ _____, & _______ _____. A. African Game, Old English Game, and Asian Game B. Modern Game, Old American Game, and English Game C. American Game, Old English Game, and Modern Game
7. Orpingtons don't come in
________. A. Maple
B. Chocolate C.
8. RIR stands for _____ ________
_____. A. Rhode Island Road B.
Red Ink Residue C. Rhode Island Red
9. The Standard Weight of a Sebright
Cockerel is ___ oz.
10. The Standard Weight of a Dutch Pullet is ___ oz.
11. The Standard Weight of a Bronze Old Tom is ___ lb.
12. The Standard Weight of a Call Old Duck is ____ oz.
Duck Breed does not distinguish sex with drake feathers?
14. How long does it take for a Mallard Duck egg to hatch?
15. How long does it take for a Muscovy Duck egg to hatch?
16. Can Call Ducks Fly?
18. Can Chickens Fly?
U. S. State has the Blue Hen as their state bird?
20. Are Japanese Bantams True Bantams?
True or False: Clostridium
botulinum is the scientific name for Botulism (or limber neck).
True or False: White Leghorn
Bantams should hold their tails at a 45 degree angle.
True or False: Pasteurella usually
occurs in chickens under 16 weeks of age.
True or False: Wyandottes should
have spiked rose combs.
A Dutch Bantam pullet should be
_______ ___. A. 18 lb. B. 1.8 oz.
C. 18 oz. D. 1.8 lb.
Coccidiosis can be treated by
_________. A. Tylan 50 B. Corid
C. Wominator D. no treatment
7. Bordetella is also called ________ Coryza. (type of poultry)
Acute Fowl Cholera is most commonly
found in __________, __________, __________, and ___________. A. Chickens, Ducks, Geese, and Pigeons B. Chickens, Ducks, Turkeys, and
Seabirds C. Ducks, Geese, Pheasants,
and Turkeys D. Chickens, Ducks, Geese,
Is one of the symptoms of Acute
Fowl Cholera extreme hunger?
10. Does Fowl Pox effect only adult birds?
11. Do Araucanas always have ear tufts?
12. How many toes does a chicken
13. How many toes do some chickens (Faverolles or Silkies) have?
14. Fowl Cholera is also known as ______
15. The ring of color around the pupil of
the eye is called the _____.
16.True or False:
You may use Frontline for Dogs and Cats on your chickens.
17. A golden chicken is called _____.
18.Sebrights originated in ______. A. England
B. Italy C. United States D. Antarctica
19. Should chickens eat chocolate?
20.Can East Indie Ducks fly?
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any WTB Bantam Rumpless Tufted Araucanas available. Thanks!
Silver Sisters Homestead has been breeding show quality Blue Orpingtons for over 5 years. Our flocks are free ranging, high quality dual purpose birds,
I am near San Luis Obispo, CA, and am looking for day old Silkie chickens as my first birds. I would prefer non-bearded if possible. I would like to
Looking for a Buff laced frizzle polish Bantam pullet. Call 607-287-8917.
Keep up to date on the latest restrictions on exhibition, swaps, and poultry movement due to avian flu.
I have OEG BB Reds, Whites, Blacks, and Silver Duckwings in male line. My birds are out of top blood line breeders but I do not have time to show them