First Aid Kit
If you own poultry, you are sure to have plenty of opportunities to act as their veterinarian. It is so helpful to have on hand some of the basic medicines and supplies that are commonly used so you can save a trip to the feed store or Tractor Supply. Here is a list of supplies we keep in our first aid kit:
- Nutra-Drench - For a quick shot of
nutrients or to pink up pale combs
- Oxine - For disinfecting coop or
- Corid Soluble Powder- For treating Coccidiosis
- Tylan 50 Injectable - Treating individual birds
for respiratory disease
- Tylan Powder - Treating whole flock for
- Gallimycin - Treats upper respiratory
diseases (Try mixed with Tylan!)
- Sevin - Use during coop clean-out
under shavings and in mite-prone areas
- Adam's Flea and Tick - Spray birds at vent and
under wings to treat mites
- Wazine - Treat flock for worms,
- Flea & Tick Shampoo - Wash birds in water with
shampoo when overrun with mites
- Vitamins & Electrolytes - Use in times of stress
like during or after shows
- Probiotics - water soluble - Use after
round of antibiotics to restore healthy gut flora
- VetRX or Blue Ribbon RX Remedy -
Relieves respiratory problems
- Blood Stop Powder - For immediate clotting of
- Hydrated Lime - Mixed with bedding to
control odor or mixed with water for a whitewashing solution
- Rubbing Alcohol/Hydrogen Peroxide - To clean
and disinfect minor wounds
- Neosporin Antibiotic Ointment - To protect and help to heal minor
- Apple Cider Vinegar (an unfiltered ACV, such as Bragg's is most beneficial) - Add several teaspoons/
gallon of water as a natural worm preventative and to benefit the digestive
health of your birds. (Do not use in galvanized waterers) It also can be
diluted and used as a disinfectant when cleaning your coop.
- Syringes and needles (purchase from vet or at Tractor Supply) - To administer medicine
What's in Your First Aid Kit?
What have you found to be most helpful to have handy when sickness or injury hits your flock?
What do others keep in their First Aid Kit?
Click below to see...
Fix'en Chicken Butt Cream Not rated yet
"Fix'en Chicken Butt Cream" - Better known as Preparation H. This stuff works wonders on all kids of poultry wounds, sore (chicken) butts, as well as …
Vet Rx Not rated yet
Vet Rx is a "must-have" in our show box. This helps to prevent colds when traveling and makes a huge difference in faded or discolored combs and waddles …
Click here to write your own.
What can we help you find? Search the website:
Find all the Virtual Poultry Shows!
Information on the Pips 'n Chicks Virtual Show
Coturnix Quail. Charles Judd (614) 668-6263. firstname.lastname@example.org